All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Need some advice
PostPosted: May 6th, '20, 15:57 

Are you human?: YES
Hi there,
I need some advice about my AP system. I got 3 IBC grow beds and they are gravity fed. I have noticed that veggies into the last two grow beds grow very well. But into the first grow bed, I find that veggies grow very slowly and as if there was less nutrients. But the water running through the beds is supposed to be balanced in nutrients, isn't it?
I don't know why the first grow bed is not growing well...
Thanks for helping
Hope you guys are well and safe.
-Mathias

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Need some advice
PostPosted: May 8th, '20, 00:25 

Are the beds fed in parallel or in series? What's growing in the different beds? Is the flow rate the same? Any testing to see what the nutrient levels in the water are? My guess is it has more to do with the type of plants you're growing but we may find out otherwise.

Cheers

PostPosted: May 10th, '20, 04:47 

scotty435 wrote:
Are the beds fed in parallel or in series? What's growing in the different beds? Is the flow rate the same? Any testing to see what the nutrient levels in the water are? My guess is it has more to do with the type of plants you're growing but we may find out otherwise.

Cheers

Thanks for your answer Scotty435,
The beds are fed in series. In the first bed where veggies are growing slowly there was chives, lettuce, basil, and chard, into the second where it's growing well there is leek, cabbage, french peas, and into the third grow bed where it's growing very well there is greens, nasturtium, borage, lettuces etc.

There is not the same flow rate into each grow bed due to gravity fed in series.
For nutrients in the water, No3 : 60ppm,
No2, NH4 : 0ppm
Fe :2ppm
Il struggling with my pH at the moment, very tricky to increase it but it's around 6.3 and I'm also struggling with phosphorus which is 0 ... I don't know how to fix everything.
Thanks for helping

PostPosted: May 12th, '20, 07:36 

If you're using commercial fish feed then you probably don't need to be concerned with phosphorus because it's in the feed so it's just getting used or bound up as fast as it's going into the system. Count your blessings that the phosphates are zero if they weren't you'd probably be having an algae bloom. Phosphate is very low or zero most of the time in my AP system.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the beds being in series. If they are in series, what comes out of one goes into the next so then the flow should be close to the same through each bed but you state that it's not :? ?

Usually the first bed gets more nutrients if the beds are in series and this results in the first bed growing a bit better but sounds like your setup doesn't give you this. Check the water temperature - some of your plants are cool weather plants and some like it warmer (Basil). Any difference in the light levels between the beds?

PostPosted: May 15th, '20, 16:10 

scotty435 wrote:
If you're using commercial fish feed then you probably don't need to be concerned with phosphorus because it's in the feed so it's just getting used or bound up as fast as it's going into the system. Count your blessings that the phosphates are zero if they weren't you'd probably be having an algae bloom. Phosphate is very low or zero most of the time in my AP system.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the beds being in series. If they are in series, what comes out of one goes into the next so then the flow should be close to the same through each bed but you state that it's not :? ?

Usually the first bed gets more nutrients if the beds are in series and this results in the first bed growing a bit better but sounds like your setup doesn't give you this. Check the water temperature - some of your plants are cool weather plants and some like it warmer (Basil). Any difference in the light levels between the beds?

Hi Scotty,
ok, thanks for your advice. Sorry I made a mistake, my beds are in parallel... The PVC pipe which if feeding the beds is sloping down to the third bed, so there is a bigger flow into the third bed. But the water is the same, it comes directly from the fish tank...
Temp is varying at the moment between 10°C and 15°C.

Thanks

PostPosted: May 17th, '20, 00:52 

OK, so based on that description of the flow I'm going to guess that bed 2 and 3 have more flow than bed 1 and that's why they are doing better. This is speculation on my part but it may be that there is one nutrient that is slowing bed 1 up but because more of the nutrients pass through beds 2 and 3, they are getting enough. FYI - Basil is a warm weather plant so it might be slow because of cool water temps. Post up some pictures of the plants showing which bed is which and I might be able to tell what's going on.

You can use ball valves at each grow bed to regulate the flow and even it out if necessary.

PostPosted: May 17th, '20, 13:50 

scotty435 wrote:
OK, so based on that description of the flow I'm going to guess that bed 2 and 3 have more flow than bed 1 and that's why they are doing better. This is speculation on my part but it may be that there is one nutrient that is slowing bed 1 up but because more of the nutrients pass through beds 2 and 3, they are getting enough. FYI - Basil is a warm weather plant so it might be slow because of cool water temps. Post up some pictures of the plants showing which bed is which and I might be able to tell what's going on.

You can use ball valves at each grow bed to regulate the flow and even it out if necessary.

Ok, Can you just tell me how to download pictures? I can't find a guide on the Forum.. thanks

PostPosted: May 18th, '20, 03:16 

To post pics you have to resize them using whatever your preferred software is. I'm not sure what the current size requirement is - there are a couple of threads here that deal with adding pics - viewforum.php?f=4

Try to make it so that the size is reasonable and doesn't extend too far to the right where it's hard to see the image or text as you're scrolling down the screen.