All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 2nd, '20, 05:08 

Are you human?: YES
Can I assemble my PVC with just silicone?

Hi guys newbie here but this seems like a great form. I tried the search feature and did not see too many results so I figured I’d ask my question here anyway. I am assembling a new system which will be flat and made out of PVC pipe. Since I’m not sure of my final layout I was wondering if I could dry fit the pieces and silicone each Junction. Or am I asking for trouble?Hi guys newbie here but this seems like a great forum. I tried the search feature and did not see too many results so I figured I’d ask my question here anyway. I am assembling a new system which will be flat and made out of PVC pipe. Since I’m not sure of my final layout I was wondering if I could dry fit the pieces and silicone each junction. Or am I asking for trouble

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 2nd, '20, 08:34 

Are you human?: YES
If the system is outside then you can probably skip pvc cement and just press fit the components (depends on how tight the press fit is and if the system is where it will get tripped over or played with by kids). Some people secure the pipes using short stainless steel screws through the connectors and part way into the pipe so they won't back out. Doing this lets them re-arrange their system later on without having to cut everything apart.

I would glue the system using pvc cement if it's indoors. You can make a good estimate of the pipe lengths needed by measuring how far a piece of pipe will slide down into a connector and just figure that and into your measurements.

I wouldn't use silicone.

PostPosted: May 2nd, '20, 11:10 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Most of the time
I've had great success with joining PVC temporally by wrapping plumbers tape around the end of the pipe before pushing the fittings together, this creates a tighter fit & the tape also stops the join from leaking.

PostPosted: May 11th, '20, 07:51 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Unknown Cyborg
If you want something removable I've always had good luck with vaseline (aka petroleum jelly don't know what they call it around the world.)

BYAP Full Width Script
Arduino UNO Data Sender / Logger

PostPosted: May 13th, '20, 03:13 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Cut the ends square, chamfer the sharp edge and tap together - works for all gravity joints if the fittings are a tight fit. For any pressure joints use glue - though I have may pressure joints that I do not glue that have been in use for several years. It depends on how much pressure. Do NOT us silicone, it will just make a mess and not add much value.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.