All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '20, 09:11 

Are you human?: YES
Hey so I'm pretty new to using fish tanks and whatnot
I have three fish tanks that I want to connect together in a line as I would rather not use three different sets of pumps, filters, heater etc.

The idea was to use a 50mm diamond drill bit to drill holes in the sides of the tanks and press them flush together so the holes line up. Then use a sealant between the two in the holes to stop any leaks and then have the fish and water pass through as they please.

Although, I am worried the sealant won't work enough and if I should use Uniseals without piping to make sure there is no water leak. Is this even a thing? I can't find much online about connecting tanks this way and I really don't want to have to use bulkheads and piping like other people are

The tanks are these sizes and will be in this lineup

18L -38.4L - 30L

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 29th, '20, 08:14 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I can't see any flaws in your thinking.
I think it would be fine with Uniseals as long as you can ensure that the holes have a very clean edge, and that the tanks don't experience shifting.

Actually, on second thought, I think the thing I would worry about it the pressure upon the glass when putting the pipe through the seal, as they do require pretty hard force. It would make me a little nervous.

I had an issue with a leaky uniseal due to shifting of the pipe that went through it. But, they really can do a great job doing what they are supposed to do. I was the one who made a mistake, not the uniseal!

Barrel System
IBC System
300 gallon flood and drain system

PostPosted: Apr 29th, '20, 11:55 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Or use U siphons to connect the tanks. There are a lot of information on the web about autosiphons. You can connect the tanks either series or parralel.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Apr 29th, '20, 12:28 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Rc, Is the U siphon the same thing as a bridge siphon?

They are definitely a good option. The only issue can be with air eventually getting trapped in the top portion, which prevents the water from going through the siphon.

It happened to me a few times, and I came home to the pump side of my sump (two tank sump) almost completely dry. I ended up installing a valve to purge air from it every once in a while, which is way better than having to dunk the siphon and try to keep the water from falling out when inverted to place it back in it's spot. I think I got the idea from Web4Deb.

This probably wouldn't be as much of a chore with a smaller bridge siphon. Mine actually was actually pretty heavy and awkward to try to refill by filling with water and trying to keep it full when putting it back.

I do agree that it would be a good solution, without risking the holes in the tank, and still keeping them usable for other applications later.

Barrel System
IBC System
300 gallon flood and drain system

PostPosted: May 20th, '20, 16:46 

Thanks guys I ended up just buying a 260L tank instead as the guy at my local store was very against drilling into tanks and made me too nervous haha
If I ever thinking about doing it again I will definitely look into those autosiphons