All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Starting out aquaponics
PostPosted: Mar 19th, '20, 19:31 

Are you human?: YES
Hey everyone, i've read a whole book and browsed the sh*t out of the internet in regards to valid information about aquaponics.
The general idea is pretty relative, however i am planning on starting out a small NFT system to grow lettuce. I live in Romania however i am unsure as to what type of fish to grow with lettuce and relative weather( i will be starting a small one with growing led lights to see what happens based on my current knowledge of the craft)
I would ideally like to use trout because it is widely consumed, however pretty hard to take care of. I've read that tialipa are great for beginners because they grow fast, are disease resistant and are pretty much perfect for starting out. However i would like to grow something for starters that i could get a return of investment overall at least partially and i am undecided between Tialipa, Golden Caras, Trout or Macro. Because Tialipa doesn't have such a great reputation in my country overall.

To be honest, my worries regarding the fish stand from a health point of view, since i would like to open a business in this domain since my dream is to start eating once more healthy food. And i've read the disease risks for each fish however the fear is still there.
So, any advice based on my country zone for fish growth?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '20, 17:34 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I'm not sure what Macro is, but do people eat perch aka Perca fluviatilis or zander aka Sander lucioperca? These fish will thrive at higher temps than trout, and survive down to 0 degrees C as well, although they will grow slower in colder temps. They are considered good eating in many European countries.

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '20, 06:55 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Get some attractive coloured Koi or Goldfish and get started these can be sold later on if you want

Lots to learn about managing your system

To grow lettuce all you will need is a bit of Nitrate and a splash of seaweed based fertilizer liquid

We love photos

Most of us have started small and built from there

Have fun and ask questions

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '20, 11:33 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,
If it is fish for eating that you want to grow:
Have you investigated what type of fish fingerlings are available locally?
What fish live in rivers, lakes, dams locally that people like to eat?
What fish would reasonably grow in the size system you are planning?

Ex: I looked up fish of Romania, and saw a few types of sturgeon that are native. I know many people love eating sturgeon and it's eggs, and I know sturgeon has been grown in aquaponics, but with really big tanks...

I don't know what size system you are planning...

If there is a well liked fish, that lives in local waters, but maybe is not so common, you might want to try going that route.
You may have thought of these things already, but just my two cents. :think:

Don't know if this helps. But I agree...have fun

Barrel System
IBC System
300 gallon flood and drain system

PostPosted: Mar 22nd, '20, 21:30 

Hey thanks everyone for your replies.
The fish i've specified are all consumed around me and can be found locally to be bought as. Does anyone have any idea of a good NFT design? I've looked up the internet but most of them don't use a mechanical or biofilter and some do, i'm just curious which is better because not using filters would make things easier but are they used because they are absolutely neccesairy or just as a precaution, because as i reckon fish make a lot of ammonia and they require very good filtration so i would bet on a bio and mechanical filter for the nft system, since there is little surface for the bacteria to live on on the pvc tubing.

PostPosted: Mar 23rd, '20, 08:04 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Unknown Cyborg
For a pure NFT system you will need filters for sure. At a bare minimum a biofilter using media (K1, lava rock, etc.) but also preferably a solids filter before that like a Radial Flow Separator/Settler.

Or you could have some media beds before the NFT versus having standalone filters.

Arduino UNO Data Sender / Logger