All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mar 2nd, '20, 17:11 

Are you human?: YES
After making the move from sunny QLD to the NSW Highlands, I'd given up on AP.
Largely due to proper winters down to -13°C and the problems that'd cause me with IBC aquaponics.

But a windfall of double glazed glass panels, found ridiculously cheap, means that I can build an over the top glasshouse for relatively little money.
I plan to fill it with aquaponics and get back into the game.

I've got the panels home and measured them up and can finally start planning the build.

They were rejected by some people building a flash house because of a few scratches (they have more scratches now...).
Painfully, out of 22 panels, there are 14 different sizes, so this will be fun to nut out. :roll:
I'm betting they used an architect. (No offence to any here, I'm sure you know what I mean if you are :D ).
But beggars can't be choosers.

Scored over $7000 worth of glass (perhaps more?) for $600, I really can't complain.
Pretty sure that around 38M2 of polycarbonate sheeting would have cost me more.
But I do need a much more solid structure to support the quite remarkable weight of these things, so it's not straight up cheaper.
The glazier who replaced them is retiring and just wanted them gone. Pretty sure he got them for free or very cheap.

The glasshouse should end up around 6750mm long, just over 2000mm high and maybe 2500/3000mm wide. Assuming there is no breakage...
Slab on ground and a decent rhs framework, probably incorporating the pond and growbed frames into the main structure.
The southern wall and part of the side walls will be solid insulated walls, to stretch the glass a little further. Can't see any reason to use glass on the southern exposure.
Ponds running along the long walls with beds over and a path between.
With additional filtration on the western wall between the ponds.

Ponds should be between 6400L and 8500L, depending on what I decide and growbeds should be around 3200L.
All subject to confirmation, but hoping to run 100+ trout through the cooler months, once the system matures.

It'll be interesting to see minimum and maximum temperatures through the year.
I will definitely incorporate wax pellet auto window/vent openers to try and keep it from getting too warm and will likely have to use a shade cloth cover in summer.

This won't be a quick build, with planning, council approval and my natural laziness but it'll get there.

Apologies for the lengthy post but stay tuned (this may take some time). :whistle:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 13th, '20, 13:14 

Good news.
Only a small update, I've talked to the council and discovered that because we live outside of the town boundary, we do not need planning permission for the glasshouse (as long as it's under 50M2 which it definitely will be).

Amazing.
I've got a few other things on the boil but this should speed things up a bit and save me red tape nightmares.
It'll be more expensive than I'd hoped but all going well, it'll only cost around 10% of it's finished value.
Or of what it'd cost to have it built by a builder with all new materials.

Getting exciting.

I've got a silly idea about building a redneck hot tub inside the glasshouse. Trying very hard to forget about it...
I think that's one step too far. (I'm also very tempted :naughty: :lol: )

PostPosted: Mar 13th, '20, 18:27 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
We have a hot tub built from a 5000 Litre Aquaculture tank (sloped bottom centre drain) Large swimming pool sand filter (back flush for cleaning) Insulated and a lid made from coolroom panels , 300Metres of black poly pipe run on a timer for heating tonight its 36 Celcius it is FANTASTIC really helps my old body .

So I say go for it

Good luck with your build

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '20, 05:57 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: no
+ 1 on hot tub. Red-neck optional :thumbleft: .

How else to check on the system than from a hot tub with a vantage point, and a cold frothy 8)

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '20, 14:12 

I really like the idea of it inside the glasshouse but think that's a bit extravagant and wastes pond and garden floorspace.
Still very tempting.
Might move it to the yard but it'd be wild in winter. :shock:
It'd only be a cladded IBC, most likely, if it even came to pass.

I like how you think Asitis, I agree it'd be all kinds of special and yours sounds great Terra.

It's really only a distraction while I wait but you never know...

PostPosted: Mar 26th, '20, 15:39 

Well, with the current state of affairs, I've been forced to act like an adult and put off any unnecessary expenditure.
There's a chance that we'll need every cent to pay the mortgage, so the glasshouse build, although very close, has been shelved until things return to stability.

If we get sent home for a week or three, I'll keep myself busy and share other quirky projects with you all, to keep myself amused.

As Ned Kelly probably said, "I suppose it had to come to this".

Best of luck everyone, keep calm and carry on. :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '20, 14:21 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: no
:support: Ohh, bugger, that sucks. Would have been great timing for the time, but without materials, no good. I've finally started on my dirt vegy garden, as is only work, no cost.