All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '20, 04:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Shelgeyr wrote:
7341 wrote:
Shelgeyr wrote:
I've been off for quite awhile, but am strongly thinking of rebuilding (i.e. starting over), which is why I logged on today.

Not to be an alarmist - and this isn't my reason (the timing is coincidental), but if the coronavirus thing gets considerably worse worldwide (let's hope and pray it does not), then I expect the traffic here will perk up quite a bit.

Why? a shortage of food or trying avoid going out or both?

Both, but mostly the latter.

I actually don't believe there will be a *real* food shortage in most areas, although here and there shortages caused by panic-buying (overdriving the supply lines) will and are certainly taking place. I'm sure that's not news to anyone at this point.

Moreover, another motivator (adding to your two above) will be the desire to not get caught out short "next time", i.e. I expect quite a few people will contract the semi-aquatic strain of the Prepper bug, which obviously requires Aquaponic Therapy.

Nearly a month ago you knew this.You might be able to see the future,I suppose there's no point in asking for the lottery numbers now,because maybe money won't be any good soon :lol:
Gunagulla wrote:

You're sorted!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '20, 08:32 

Are you human?: YES
Gunagulla wrote:
Supermarket shelves are being stripped bare in places, bus loads of city people are visiting out of town stores where they have heard there are stocked shelves.

Meanwhile, I've got a freezer full of fish (and a gun! ;) ), over 200 in the FT, 100kg of pellets, a drum with plenty of BSFs and more pumpkins and potatoes nearly ready to harvest than I can poke a stick at. Since I don't use 3 rolls of toilet paper per day, I have enough to last a couple of months- which is much less than in one of those giant packs I've seen people loading up with on TV.

Someone here actually stole two of those big packs from a car.

On a similar note, I got a chuckle out of this video, thought you might as well -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTxg_dpJhPU

Cheers

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '20, 11:10 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
>>youtube :) Not all that far from what is actually happening!

I saw on TV the other day someone with a hile pile of boxes of TP in front of their garage, which also appeared to be stacked full of it.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '20, 14:18 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
Panic Buying

Attachments:
September 2053 (Small).jpg
September 2053 (Small).jpg [ 75.15 KiB | Viewed 425 times ]

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ
PostPosted: Mar 21st, '20, 15:11 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

scotty435 wrote:
Gunagulla wrote:
Supermarket shelves are being stripped bare in places, bus loads of city people are visiting out of town stores where they have heard there are stocked shelves.

Meanwhile, I've got a freezer full of fish (and a gun! ;) ), over 200 in the FT, 100kg of pellets, a drum with plenty of BSFs and more pumpkins and potatoes nearly ready to harvest than I can poke a stick at. Since I don't use 3 rolls of toilet paper per day, I have enough to last a couple of months- which is much less than in one of those giant packs I've seen people loading up with on TV.

Someone here actually stole two of those big packs from a car.

On a similar note, I got a chuckle out of this video, thought you might as well -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTxg_dpJhPU

Cheers

Thanks for the video!.I had a good laugh out of that.
Yesterday I saw on the news,here in the UK a group stole everything a food bank had & they were caught selling the toilet paper,liquid soap & cleaning products in pubs/bars :lol:

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '20, 20:00 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: If the temps >-40
I'm just lurking in the cold. I actually shut my system down this winter for the first time since building it on here. It needs a revamp and I'm trying to get my head around what I want to do. The beds have sunk from rock weight and are uneven so the drain pipes don't flow right (airlock). My bells quit working last fall, then I got infested with these springtails and could not stop them. Diamectous earch, chemical spray, bed flooding...nothing worked so I threw in the towel, drained the system and let it have a North Dakota winter off. Officially spring is here, my lettuce, toms,pepper seedlings are about to take over the living room so today I will get serious and dig out the beds,fill the sump, attempt some form of solar water heating whilst checking the plumbing. I'm searching info on a sediment filter but more because I don't have one...not sure if it's needed my beds are pretty clean. Sooo there's my rusty squeak.

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '20, 22:08 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

LazyK wrote:
I'm just lurking in the cold. I actually shut my system down this winter for the first time since building it on here. It needs a revamp and I'm trying to get my head around what I want to do. The beds have sunk from rock weight and are uneven so the drain pipes don't flow right (airlock). My bells quit working last fall, then I got infested with these springtails and could not stop them. Diamectous earch, chemical spray, bed flooding...nothing worked so I threw in the towel, drained the system and let it have a North Dakota winter off. Officially spring is here, my lettuce, toms,pepper seedlings are about to take over the living room so today I will get serious and dig out the beds,fill the sump, attempt some form of solar water heating whilst checking the plumbing. I'm searching info on a sediment filter but more because I don't have one...not sure if it's needed my beds are pretty clean. Sooo there's my rusty squeak.

This might be helpful https://www.abchomeandcommercial.com/bl ... ringtails/
it's saying to use cider vinegar.
LazyK wrote:
I'm searching info on a sediment filter but more because I don't have one...not sure if it's needed my beds are pretty clean.

What type of system is it & how big?

PostPosted: Mar 22nd, '20, 12:05 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
7341 wrote:
This might be helpful ... ringtails/ ... it's saying to use cider vinegar.

I've lost a fair few plants due to springtails, I'm not sure soaking my GBs with cider vinegar would be very good for the fish though!

Eliminating moisture and organic matter as suggested in the article isn't an option either, but they do seem to like wet soil, so my plan to to place containers of soil into the GB media and see if they accumulate there, and then dispose of them well away from the AP.

They have really made a mess of the base of my tamarillo tree, but it is surviving so far, and has lots of ripening fruit on it now.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Mar 22nd, '20, 15:45 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Gunagulla wrote:
7341 wrote:
This might be helpful ... ringtails/ ... it's saying to use cider vinegar.
I'm not sure soaking my GBs with cider vinegar would be very good for the fish though!

I didn't know the cider part was bad for fish,the vinegar isn't,I know several that have tried to lower the PH with it (and failed).

It seems such a shame that the system is there & not being used because of a bug! :lol:
Maybe wiping the sides of the inside of the grow bed & a light spraying on the plants (where they're causing trouble) might help to prevent it.
The article says cider vinegar "burns them" :dontknow:

PostPosted: Apr 5th, '20, 15:20 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: If the temps >-40
Cleaned the beds...not a springtail to be seen since the freeze therapy and cleaning. Yeah