All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '19, 15:06 

Are you human?: YES
Hi all, after a few failed attempts at Hydroponics, i am planning to go into Aquaponics

Well, not exactly failed - i have been growing tomatoes, mulberries and strawberries, and i managed to get them growing fast and all, its always the same case, lots of leaves, a few flowers here and there, but never really fruited. Even my supposely dwarf tomatoes grew long and tall

I have been using Advance Nutrients for some time and it help to take off the guessing of Ph

My habits: i dont always change the reservoir cause i am away and i suspect that different needs of the plants at different stages may be the culprit of not having it fruit. That and salt built up - just topping up water, but i do check the ppm from time to time (which may just be left over non-used salts)

i wonder if aquaponics might be any different? i know that there might be deficiencies in the aquaponics system from time to time (iron or some other macronutrients) but maybe this might occur less since there is a "constant" supply from the fishes?

I will be using Indian almond leaves to lower the Ph. i keep fishes as a side hobby and those aquatic plants are quite happy, just not sure if aquaponics is suited for fruit plants

this is an Indoor system

thanks for the advice

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 4th, '19, 09:23 

Are you human?: YES
Bump.

PostPosted: Dec 4th, '19, 09:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Aquaponics is a lot more random than hydroponics! There could be many reasons you are not getting fruit, are you getting flowers? Perhaps they are not being fertilized.

If you don;t always change the nutrient tank because you are away, then I think aquaponics is a bad choice, you really need to be there for the fish.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Dec 4th, '19, 15:28 

Are you human?: yes
Not an expert, but if it's indoor, how do you make the fertilization ? There are no bees ! I plan to grow starawberries (normal and "forest"/mini variety), but I know I'll have to attract insects in order to be successful.

But as a general remark, if you don't spend enough time to care for your system, don't be surprised it gives little rewards. Hydroponics is chemical, more of a rule to follow", while I see aquaponic as more natural, but the fish won't help you with deficiencies, it's worse (they mostly contribute the "N" constituents to your growbeds).

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '19, 04:00 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
As above