All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 7th, '19, 07:59 

Are you human?: YES
So, I was doing some research (particularly on the Elive Aquado aquarium filter, which is an aquarium filter that you can grow a plant in for a little d.i.y. aquaponics action) but I started digging, and I found some sources saying that you could potentially put a plant in a plain filter instead of buying a 25$ filter (that doesn't even come in a size that fits my tank size). Do you guys think this would work? I want to attempt putting in some expanded clay pellets along with the filter cartridge and then put in a strawberry plant or at least some kind of plant I can eat. I just wanted to get some feedback on this idea before I tried anything and broke my filter.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 7th, '19, 18:52 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Growing plants in filters is basically what aquaponics is!

filters work trough one basic concept; the provision of surface area and its contact with water. Filter medium is designed to have as much surface area as possible, and the water must be gently pumped through the media in order to maximise the contact between the two.

You probably know this already but its really as simple as that. You also need to consider whether the filter will pick up solid particles and become clogged, in which case you must be able to periodically clean it/flush it out etc.

Its hard to say whether something will work without detailed description or ideally pictures, but basically it should, filters can be made DIY on the cheap very easily.

Everyone on this forum has home-made filters that they grow plants in!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Nov 8th, '19, 10:19 

danny wrote:
Growing plants in filters is basically what aquaponics is!

filters work trough one basic concept; the provision of surface area and its contact with water. Filter medium is designed to have as much surface area as possible, and the water must be gently pumped through the media in order to maximise the contact between the two.

You probably know this already but its really as simple as that. You also need to consider whether the filter will pick up solid particles and become clogged, in which case you must be able to periodically clean it/flush it out etc.

Its hard to say whether something will work without detailed description or ideally pictures, but basically it should, filters can be made DIY on the cheap very easily.

Everyone on this forum has home-made filters that they grow plants in!! :mrgreen:

What I was mostly planning was just literally sticking a strawberry plant into my 3.5 gallon filter. I don't know if it'll actually work with that small of a filter. Like, I've seen people literally just put a plant directly into the filter on a larger scale, but I've never seen it done with A) a strawberry plant specifically, and B) a filter that small.

PostPosted: Nov 12th, '19, 14:30 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: no
I'd certainly give it a go. Worse case you will just need to empty the filter if it clogs up.