All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Howdy folks
PostPosted: Oct 3rd, '19, 19:08 

Are you human?: yes
Hey all,

Just about to start the build of my first AP system using 2 IBCs (so far).

I hope I remember to take photos of how it all goes so I can share them with you.

One question i have is around water to fill the system. I’ve a choice of (brown) rainwater, dam water or spring/bore water. I got a master test kit tonight so will test all 3 tomorrow when it’s light. I’m guessing the chemistry of the water will be the deciding factor.

I’ve spent the past few years watching videos and reading all I can and am excited to actually start the build. I bought clay pebbles (LECA) for the media beds.

With 2 IBCs I’m thinking fish tank, sump tank and either 2 media beds or a media bed and wicking bed. The design I have in mind is CHIFT PIST.

As for cycling, I will go fishless using Seasol Powerfeed. Don’t want to kill fish with my ham fisted lack of knowledge.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Howdy folks
PostPosted: Oct 5th, '19, 10:11 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya Capncoke, welcome to the forum.
Water. Rainwater collected off a tin roof is a no no due to the possibility of zinc in the water. This has been the suspected source of many die offs on this forum. Dam water should be ok and spring and bore waters may need to be off gassed prior to use. Chemical testing equipment is expensive and our master fresh water kits only do the basics so sometimes it’s a suck it and see thing which should sit comfortably with your ham fist. But seriously you’re reading up about it so I’m sure you’ll be fine.
More questions? Feel free to ask away we have all sorts of experts on this forum. ;)

PostPosted: Oct 5th, '19, 18:46 

skeggley wrote:
Hiya Capncoke, welcome to the forum.
Water. Rainwater collected off a tin roof is a no no due to the possibility of zinc in the water. This has been the suspected source of many die offs on this forum. Dam water should be ok and spring and bore waters may need to be off gassed prior to use. Chemical testing equipment is expensive and our master fresh water kits only do the basics so sometimes it’s a suck it and see thing which should sit comfortably with your ham fist. But seriously you’re reading up about it so I’m sure you’ll be fine.
More questions? Feel free to ask away we have all sorts of experts on this forum. ;)

Thanks for the reply and additional info re the rainwater.

I tested the dam and bore water today. Neither had ammonia, nitrites or nitrates (all zero). The dam water pH is 6.4 and the bore 6.6. As we’ve only recently moved here I have no idea about what is in the dam. The dam has some plant life in it - no signs of any fish.

Probably better then to go with the dam water. Do I need to raise the pH before cycling with powerfeed or is that likely to happen on its own?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Oct 6th, '19, 07:15 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Hi mate, no need to mess with your pH levels they’re fine and will probably assist with cycling. Go easy with the powerfeed to begin with, raising the ammonia too much will retard the cycling process.
I found it handy to document my build in the members thread section and got lots of great advice and constructive critisism. (:
What fish are you thinking of using?

PostPosted: Oct 7th, '19, 19:24 

skeggley wrote:
Hi mate, no need to mess with your pH levels they’re fine and will probably assist with cycling. Go easy with the powerfeed to begin with, raising the ammonia too much will retard the cycling process.
I found it handy to document my build in the members thread section and got lots of great advice and constructive critisism. (:
What fish are you thinking of using?

I’ll search for your build thread and have a read.

Do I need to buy liquid seasol powerfeed or can I use the granular one, grind it down and premix with the AP water?

I would have loved trout but it is going to be too warm for them here - inland part of NSW central coast. I haven’t decided yet and am open to suggestions for fish that taste good and are suitable for where I am. I wonder if jade or silver perch would be a good choice.