All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 22nd, '19, 00:12 

Are you human?: YES
I have not seen improvement on the yellowish leaves should I apply it.more than once a week? I also did use maxicrop seaweed yesterday so fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '19, 23:39 

Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm not sure how frequently you can apply the spray without causing problems so I'd stick to the once a week schedule. Give it a bit more time.

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '19, 01:24 

One more though the leaves are turning upward all plants little sagging too. I tested my nitrates they are now at 7 to 10 ppm so I think I am running out of. Nitrogen for these plants. Ot enough fish. I got about 60 tilapia and goldfish in there ranges from 2 inch to 3 inch in size. What can I do to boost the nitrates or add more nitrogen some how?

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '19, 21:41 

Don't try to micromanage the system. Lots of systems run and produce well with Nitrate readings at or near zero - the readings for your system are high enough that the plants will do well, something else is missing or wrong but not the nitrate levels at this point.

Leaves curling upward might not be a problem at all but if you look out on line at "leaves curl upward" you'll probably find lots of information on possible problems like temperature stress or water/humidity issues. If you don't have a small fan in the plant area it might be a good idea to get one so that the air circulates, reducing leaf surface temps and condensation. Sometimes yellow spots on leaves can be due to cool or cold water dripping or condensing on the leaf surfaces. I see this in my greenhouse during the spring and fall if I'm not careful. Spraying the leaves can play some part in this but it's doubtful that this is all that's going on, air circulation is pretty important in a situation like yours so see if this helps.

It would probably be good to look at the roots on one of the plants that's having troubles just to see if there is a root rot issue.

I haven't looked back at the size of your system but it seems like you may have too many fish not too few :think: .

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '19, 01:33 

Another update I am still seeing deficiencies with my system since my last post a few weeks ago. Leaves are curling up and spots still showing on plants. I added Maxicrop seaweed extract once a week, I put a half cup to a gallon and pour directly into growbed intake areas. I have been spraying a few times aweek of potassium and I recently added 1/4 cup of cal-mag cuz the discoloration feels like either potassium or magnesium.. I added fans to the area, the temperature hovers around 71 deg f and 61% humidity. Any other advice as to what is going on here or what else I can do see pictures below?

Attachments:
20190902_090647_resized.jpg
20190902_090647_resized.jpg [ 166.84 KiB | Viewed 2754 times ]
20190828_192322_resized.jpg
20190828_192322_resized.jpg [ 269.42 KiB | Viewed 2754 times ]
20190828_192314_resized.jpg
20190828_192314_resized.jpg [ 242.24 KiB | Viewed 2754 times ]
20190828_192305_resized.jpg
20190828_192305_resized.jpg [ 287.97 KiB | Viewed 2754 times ]
PostPosted: Sep 4th, '19, 08:36 

Another pictureImage

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '19, 16:01 

Could I possibly have a molybdenum deficiency? Anyone know how to correct it?

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '19, 18:47 

Might want to look at this for information on leaf curl in tomatoes - http://www.rutgers-atlantic.org/pdfs/Tomato%20Leaf%20Curling.pdf. I wouldn't spray the tomatoes with anything at this point. The curling apparently won't affect their production but can be due to over fertilization (among other things).

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '19, 23:47 

I read this and it sounds like my issue is over doing it. Problem is that I'm trying to fix the other issue too see pics below. I think I need to lower my ph it is at 7.6 I want to lower it I think the ph is too high and causing the plants issues absorbing nutrients do you agree?ImageImage

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '19, 00:14 

Quote:
I think the ph is too high and causing the plants issues absorbing nutrients do you agree?

I guess I'd have to disagree. With the exception of iron, most of the nutrients can be taken up by plants when the system is at the pH 7.6 (iron in many forms can still be utilized but not all forms and many will be at reduced availability). When iron is deficient the new growth will turn yellow because iron can't be shifted easily within the plant so it can't just be transported from the old leaves.

Molybdenum deficiency seems pretty unlikely to me. While it can cause leaf roll it's pretty rare and molybdenum is a micro-nutrient for plants so it doesn't take much to satisfy their needs. While we may have missed it, I can't remember anyone ever having this deficiency in their AP system. I may have already mentioned it but you always want a good quality feed for the fish though because that's where most of the nutrients are going to come from. Commercial feeds which are designed for growth not maintenance are best. Flake food usually doesn't work very well.

The yellow areas on that last leaf photo don't look like a potassium deficiency issue.

Some of the yellowing could actually be chemical burns so take a break from spraying everything but the seaweed extract. I think you had a potassium deficiency but now you don't, you still have the damage where the tissue died around the leaf margins but that won't go away. The yellowing within the leaves is either a chemical burn, some other deficiency or in some cases a disease. I noticed that those areas look low in relation to the rest of the leaf so maybe too much spray collected in these areas. A few of these locations (the circular ones with well defined margins - a good example is at the top left of the last photo) also look like they may be caused by Cercospora - (https://gardener.fandom.com/wiki/White_leaf_spot_(Brassica))

You've already improved the air flow so try to make certain that the leaves don't remain wet for very long and I'd remove the leaves that look like they have Cercospora in order to limit it's spread.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '19, 00:49 

Scott thank you so much for the help. I will sit back and see what happens.

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '19, 00:54 

Hey guys,

Still having issues with withering leaves and you can see a translucent spots almost like things are turning yellow in middle. The main issue is leaves are sagging and withering. Any advice?

PH is 7.6
temp around 78 f
Nitrates around 10 ppm
ammonia and nitrites negligible

Attachments:
20191003_191318_1570463539247_resized.jpg
20191003_191318_1570463539247_resized.jpg [ 159.64 KiB | Viewed 592 times ]
20191003_191355_1570463536495_resized.jpg
20191003_191355_1570463536495_resized.jpg [ 163.99 KiB | Viewed 592 times ]