All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sep 19th, '19, 19:30 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Nhibbo wrote:
The thorns are a bit odd. Did you take the cuttings from below the original graft?
I grow cuttings from my citrus trees a little differently. I ring bark an upper branch by about 1", a foot below the tip. I treat the upper part of the ringed section with rooting powder (late winter) and then place a dark plastic bag of seed raising mix about the wound (about a large fist size) and seal top and bottom with electrical tape, then I wrap the whole plastic bag with Alfoil to keep the summer heat off it.
The parent tree feeds the cutting with water while new roots develop in the soil. When shooting vigorously (usually 3-4 months later, I snip it off from the parent tree and pot (autumn).
Never had one fail.

Nope. I snipped off some new growth towards the end of last summer. Single trunk and still a Meyer Lemon. I think it may just be adapting to a different environment/nutrients.

Your way of layering is pretty well guaranteed to succeed. This way was much faster/easier though and still had a 100% success rate. The only thing I have seen have a hard time doing cuttings this way is rosemary. Still only had a single cutting fail out of the 3 rosemary I tried.

The downside of doing cuttings the way I just did is time. It takes a lot longer for the cutting since it has to start from nothing... with no help from the mother plant.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '19, 08:37 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Update: 04 Dec 2019

I have now moved the aquaponics system down to my new home in NC.

I don't yet have a place for it in the back yard (Long Story). However, I have decided to use these Winter months to give it a go in the garage under artificial lighting. If it works out... the system will stay in the garage. I LOVE being able to access the beds from all sides... and view the fish from both sides. The garage temps are much more stable than outside as well. Which will be conducive to better plant growth.

I have made some modifications to the system (plumbing) to reduce humidity and may make more.

I will be running four 4' long T8 fixtures using GE LED T8 tubes that are rated at 2300 Lumens and 6500K for the color. Each fixture being 1' wide with 4 lights. Which will provide almost 100% coverage for the beds. The lights will be hanging via rope and adjustable in 1/8" increments from 0" up to around 3' or so. Since they are LEDs (Cool running)... and so adjustable... I will be able to keep the lights extremely close to the plants. The reason I wanted to go this route is I DO NOT want to have to put up reflective material... but also do not want to waste light at the same time. The fact that I saved a ton of money (Compared to dedicated grow lamps/fixtures) is just a major bonus.

With the 6500K spectrum I cannot expect to grow much more than leafy greens without swapping out some of the bulbs with something from a different spectrum. Since I am able to do that... that is also awesome. For now... perfecting/fine tuning lettuce, swiss chard, and kale production will be my priority. I will be able to run tests too. Varying distance... and length of time the lights are ran.

I want to start pumping out more greens for the wife. The cloned herbs and 4 lemon trees have now been taken out and potted. Once the light housings get here I will have some lettuce going in no time. For now... the Nitrates and nutrients will be able to slowly start climbing back up (Fresh water). There are still some flower and strawberry starts in there for the moment... as well as some lettuce that germinated not too long ago.

Pics coming soon after I get the lights up!

~ Marty

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '19, 10:19 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: no
Look fowarded to seeing the progress. By any chance does the garage have a window? I have had good success angling a mirror outside a window to reflect the sun in. Saved alot on power and warmed up the space in the winter.

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '19, 11:39 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Asitis wrote:
Look fowarded to seeing the progress. By any chance does the garage have a window? I have had good success angling a mirror outside a window to reflect the sun in. Saved alot on power and warmed up the space in the winter.

Thank you.

No Windows sadly. However, my double width garage door is not insulated and faces due South. So it warms throughout the day during the winter and does heat up the space pretty well. Maybe I should paint it a dark color! Thanks for the idea.

During the Summer the door won't see much sun. My crawl space access is in the garage as well. Perhaps I can open the door and pull cool air out from under the house. There is a double vent (closeable) in the garage wall bricks going outside. So I could open it to allow better air flow. I would only need a super small fan.

Things to play around with in the future.

I live in zone 8a along the east coast. So winters are usually mild except for a month or two early in the year.

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '19, 15:52 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

great08 wrote:
Asitis wrote:

Thank you.

No Windows sadly. However, my double width garage door is not insulated and faces due South. So it warms throughout the day during the winter and does heat up the space pretty well. Maybe I should paint it a dark color! Thanks for the idea.

During the Summer the door won't see much sun. My crawl space access is in the garage as well. Perhaps I can open the door and pull cool air out from under the house. There is a double vent (closeable) in the garage wall bricks going outside. So I could open it to allow better air flow. I would only need a super small fan.

Things to play around with in the future.

I live in zone 8a along the east coast. So winters are usually mild except for a month or two early in the year.

Awesome lateral thinking

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '19, 23:21 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Asitis wrote:

Awesome lateral thinking

You know it! It comes in very handy. :)

I was actually giving it some more thought last night... letting my mind wander a little bit.

Another option for cooling during the Summer months it to set my air pump up under the house. Pumping cool air directly into the water will cool the water down much more effectively. Enabling it to hold more oxygen for the fish... and assisting the fish and plants at the same time.

Usually during the Summer in my area the system's water temps will get up to around 80F towards the end of the day (85F during the hottest days) and be around 70F in the morning time with the air stones. That is outside in full sun.

I am betting that in the garage with much more stable temps... the swing will be much less dramatic already. I may give the air pump and fan ideas a try at some point.

I am predicting that the fan will also come in handy for managing humidity... and pulling fresh atmo carbon into the room for the plants. The air quality in my garage is about to go up!

So far I have been monitoring the temps and humidity in the garage closely. Temps outside got down to freezing last night. Temps in the garage were at 57F this morning when I woke up and humidity was 63%.

The temps have been 60F to 61F by the end of the day usually every day. Humidity has been around 63 to 65%. So the cool/dry Winter air has been keeping humidity in the sweet spot pretty much. I may need to vent during the Summer though since warmer air holds more humidity.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that I will be monitoring everything once I get the actual grow lights installed. I put an order in a week ago and it still says "Processing". So I may cancel it and go grab my own somewhere near by. The light system is going to add some heat. However, I will be going LED, so it won't be very much heat.

PostPosted: Dec 13th, '19, 08:38 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Grow lights are now put together, mounted, and wired. Just have to plug in and set the timer now.

Each 1'x4' section of light should be using around 60W and putting down 9200 lumens... or around 2300 lumens per square foot. After letting the units run all day... touching the bulbs directly... they felt cool to the touch. Which means I can keep the lights just off of the plants and not have to worry about messing with reflective material or wasting energy.

I bought a light spectrometer and tested the lights. They are not "rated" for growing plants. However, from around 430nm up to 640nm the have a consistent/smooth color spectrum. MUCH better than the 5000k CFL light I tested. This broad color spectrum presence should wind up being a great thing! Time will tell the tale though. I shall take pics and share of course.

Today I spent my free time wrapping up the extra rope from the pulleys and making handles out of them. Zip-tied the wires into bundles, and hard mounted up a surge protector.

Next is to get the beds organized and planted out.

Attachments:
Aquaponic lights.JPG
Aquaponic lights.JPG [ 172.97 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 18th, '19, 23:23 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Electricity Cost per month:

I sat down yesterday and crunched the numbers to get an idea of what my power bill for running the system under lights will be. I called my power company and they charge $0.1143 cents per KW. It is a bit more pricey than some of the other places I have lived... but only by two cents or so. That being said... the power grid in my area is fed by endless fields of massive wind turbines and solar panels. Probably why it costs more.

Each of my four light fixtures run four 15W LED T8 lights each (60W total). I really need to put a meter on them to see what they actually draw because most LED products use less wattage than what they claim. Anyways, this is the number I will use to get a base idea.

60W x 4fixtures = 240W total for the lights

240W x 12hrs per day = 2,880W per day = 2.88Kw

2.88KW x $0.1143 cents = $0.329 per day in cost

$0.329 x 365 days = $120.08 per year to run @ 12hrs per day

The water and air pump combined cost about $24 per year running 24/7.

I conclude that if my system is able to produce much higher quality lettuce... year round... this will be worth it. My wife spends Much More than $10 per month on low quality lettuce at the store. Not to forget that the store lettuce has had who knows what sprayed on it... and lettuce looses 80% of it's nutrition within the first day of being picked.

That is not the whole picture either though. For classically farm grown lettuce at least the following things happen in order for the lettuce to make it into your belly.

1. The soil samples are taken via machine over the entire field and they map out nutrient deficiencies.
2. Then a series of things happen to prep. the soil for planting such as... plowing a couple of times... deploying oil and chem based fertilizers... or spreading manure based fertilizers... and then sowing the seed via machine. Each time the ground is plowed... even more carbon is released into the air.
3. Next comes water and sun. Either natural rain or well water is sprayed. Runoff enters local waterways. Introducing soil from erosion and the fertilizer that was added to amend the soil.
4. As the plants grow they will begin to have pest/disease issues since they are planted in mass as a mono crop. Things like herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, and/or each plant gets a physical barrier such as insect netting (that was manufactured elsewhere and shipped across country). Then these chems.. if used are leached into the soil and into local waters.
5. The plants are harvested either by machine or by hand and loaded onto a machine that they are following.
6. The plants are processed/washed and placed into plastic containers (produced from oil and shipped across country before hand).
7. The plants are refrigerated (More energy)
8. The plants then work their way through a network of shipping. Requiring more fuel/energy to both move them and keep them refrigerated the whole time.
9. They are placed on the shelf waiting for purchase. More refrigeration time.
10. You purchase the lettuce with your money (which took energy to make) and then drive home using more energy.
11. You throw it back into the fridge when you get home.
12. You wash it again to consume. Throwing your plastic into the garbage.

I don't know how you would calculate it all out, but I suspect that even if you go to this extreme path of growing aquaponics inside using a fake sun/lights. You and the environment are much better off for it. Classic gardening done right would be best though. However, the windows for good quality lettuce are small in my area.

My wife eats an INSANE amount of lettuce too. lol Sooo many plastic packages will be kept out of the garbage. That alone will way more than make up for the materials used to build the system.

I built this system to be a little lettuce factory. I plan to grow only loose leaf lettuce that can be harvested from many times. Setting it up for a quick turn-over rate.

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '19, 00:02 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Yes it's worth doing it.Even from the health side,it's priceless.I think fruit & veg are worse than meat for your health (at least here anyway) because it's pure poison.Everytime I have any plant "stuff",I get spots,rash & severe stomach aches.

In the size system you have,you could grow quite a bit of lettuce too.And because it's indoor you could supply it all year round.

How much does a lettuce head cost where you are?

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '19, 00:16 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

7341 wrote:
Yes it's worth doing it.Even from the health side,it's priceless.I think fruit & veg are worse than meat for your health (at least here anyway) because it's pure poison.Everytime I have any plant "stuff",I get spots,rash & severe stomach aches.

In the size system you have,you could grow quite a bit of lettuce too.And because it's indoor you could supply it all year round.

How much does a lettuce head cost where you are?

My wife and daughter have been going through auto-immune issues as well. So I agree 100%!!!

You are right though. The sun really does heat up the system during the Summer. If I am able to keep the temps around the low 90s during the day and around 70s F at night during the Summer... I should be able to keep the water temps around the 80F mark... which, when combined with much cooler gravel... should enable me to grow lettuce year round. I may not be able to grow cilantro during the warmest months but that is fine.

I don't know what the price of lettuce is around here to be honest. Looking that the prices of things I have to buy anyways just makes it more painful. lol

I did see a micro head of hydroponic lettuce for sale at a local farm for $3. It was literally just the size of a small eating bowl too.

I am attaching a pick of the clones I just pulled out of the system and the spectrometer results of my lights. 4 Improved Meyer Lemon trees in 5gal pots (One is about to be traded for several batches of chicken eggs and several large goldfish from a pond), a goji berry, two Sages, and two Rosemary plants.

Next Spring I plan to clone 3 high quality mulberry trees(Illinois Everbearing and Shangri-La) and at least 6 Violette de Bordeaux fig trees.

I need to get my fruit game up as well. The son's fruit addiction is killing the bank account as well! lol

Attachments:
IMG_1368.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG [ 354.12 KiB | Viewed 859 times ]
IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1367.JPG [ 115.22 KiB | Viewed 859 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 19th, '19, 06:59 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

great08 wrote:
I called my power company and they charge $0.1143 cents per KW...

That is very cheap, we get ripped in Australia.

Attachments:
Screenshot_20191219-095249_Powershop AU_resize_17.jpg
Screenshot_20191219-095249_Powershop AU_resize_17.jpg [ 39.71 KiB | Viewed 838 times ]
PostPosted: Dec 19th, '19, 19:10 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Asitis wrote:
great08 wrote:
I called my power company and they charge $0.1143 cents per KW...

That is very cheap, we get ripped in Australia.

Yikes!

My power bill last month was only around $80. So it should go up by around $10 per month.

Funny thing is... if I lived within city limits.. which is only a few miles from where I am currently. Not only would my taxes be More than twice the rate. My power bill would be too. lol

It is a bit ridiculous with how the prices climb that much. All of the buildings and homes in town are very old and inefficient as well. One of my co-workers said that their power bill during the Summer is usually around $600 per month. Mine climbs to around $110 to $120.

PostPosted: Dec 20th, '19, 17:32 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Before moving into the house i built we rented. Cost just over $4000 for power for the year in an inefficiently designed home in the same town.

PostPosted: Dec 20th, '19, 20:11 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Asitis wrote:
Before moving into the house i built we rented. Cost just over $4000 for power for the year in an inefficiently designed home in the same town.

It sounds like solar/wind power may pay for itself very quickly for you! Of course with prices that high... they likely took control of your local policy makers and made solar/wind against the law.

It sounds like your power bill is up to 4 times higher than mine.

If I were in those circumstances I would get a very nice greenhouse and put in a large system. Or move away. Most likely would vote with my dollars and move away.

PostPosted: Dec 20th, '19, 21:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

great08 wrote:
Asitis wrote:

It sounds like solar/wind power may pay for itself very quickly for you! Of course with prices that high... they likely took control of your local policy makers and made solar/wind against the law.

It sounds like your power bill is up to 4 times higher than mine.

If I were in those circumstances I would get a very nice greenhouse and put in a large system. Or move away. Most likely would vote with my dollars and move away.

Agree, with family here we have opted for a 10kwh solar install coming after christmas. With our sun should be paid back in 2.5years. With 22.5 years of free energy to 80% output.

Forgot to add the new house uses close to a quarter of that. The other rental was built in 2007, just stupid construction, ducted a/c, exactly the same model.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next