All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Sep 19th, '19, 19:30 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Nhibbo wrote:
The thorns are a bit odd. Did you take the cuttings from below the original graft?
I grow cuttings from my citrus trees a little differently. I ring bark an upper branch by about 1", a foot below the tip. I treat the upper part of the ringed section with rooting powder (late winter) and then place a dark plastic bag of seed raising mix about the wound (about a large fist size) and seal top and bottom with electrical tape, then I wrap the whole plastic bag with Alfoil to keep the summer heat off it.
The parent tree feeds the cutting with water while new roots develop in the soil. When shooting vigorously (usually 3-4 months later, I snip it off from the parent tree and pot (autumn).
Never had one fail.

Nope. I snipped off some new growth towards the end of last summer. Single trunk and still a Meyer Lemon. I think it may just be adapting to a different environment/nutrients.

Your way of layering is pretty well guaranteed to succeed. This way was much faster/easier though and still had a 100% success rate. The only thing I have seen have a hard time doing cuttings this way is rosemary. Still only had a single cutting fail out of the 3 rosemary I tried.

The downside of doing cuttings the way I just did is time. It takes a lot longer for the cutting since it has to start from nothing... with no help from the mother plant.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '19, 08:37 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Update: 04 Dec 2019

I have now moved the aquaponics system down to my new home in NC.

I don't yet have a place for it in the back yard (Long Story). However, I have decided to use these Winter months to give it a go in the garage under artificial lighting. If it works out... the system will stay in the garage. I LOVE being able to access the beds from all sides... and view the fish from both sides. The garage temps are much more stable than outside as well. Which will be conducive to better plant growth.

I have made some modifications to the system (plumbing) to reduce humidity and may make more.

I will be running four 4' long T8 fixtures using GE LED T8 tubes that are rated at 2300 Lumens and 6500K for the color. Each fixture being 1' wide with 4 lights. Which will provide almost 100% coverage for the beds. The lights will be hanging via rope and adjustable in 1/8" increments from 0" up to around 3' or so. Since they are LEDs (Cool running)... and so adjustable... I will be able to keep the lights extremely close to the plants. The reason I wanted to go this route is I DO NOT want to have to put up reflective material... but also do not want to waste light at the same time. The fact that I saved a ton of money (Compared to dedicated grow lamps/fixtures) is just a major bonus.

With the 6500K spectrum I cannot expect to grow much more than leafy greens without swapping out some of the bulbs with something from a different spectrum. Since I am able to do that... that is also awesome. For now... perfecting/fine tuning lettuce, swiss chard, and kale production will be my priority. I will be able to run tests too. Varying distance... and length of time the lights are ran.

I want to start pumping out more greens for the wife. The cloned herbs and 4 lemon trees have now been taken out and potted. Once the light housings get here I will have some lettuce going in no time. For now... the Nitrates and nutrients will be able to slowly start climbing back up (Fresh water). There are still some flower and strawberry starts in there for the moment... as well as some lettuce that germinated not too long ago.

Pics coming soon after I get the lights up!

~ Marty

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '19, 10:19 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: no
Look fowarded to seeing the progress. By any chance does the garage have a window? I have had good success angling a mirror outside a window to reflect the sun in. Saved alot on power and warmed up the space in the winter.

PostPosted: Dec 5th, '19, 11:39 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Asitis wrote:
Look fowarded to seeing the progress. By any chance does the garage have a window? I have had good success angling a mirror outside a window to reflect the sun in. Saved alot on power and warmed up the space in the winter.

Thank you.

No Windows sadly. However, my double width garage door is not insulated and faces due South. So it warms throughout the day during the winter and does heat up the space pretty well. Maybe I should paint it a dark color! Thanks for the idea.

During the Summer the door won't see much sun. My crawl space access is in the garage as well. Perhaps I can open the door and pull cool air out from under the house. There is a double vent (closeable) in the garage wall bricks going outside. So I could open it to allow better air flow. I would only need a super small fan.

Things to play around with in the future.

I live in zone 8a along the east coast. So winters are usually mild except for a month or two early in the year.

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '19, 15:52 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: no
great08 wrote:
Asitis wrote:

Thank you.

No Windows sadly. However, my double width garage door is not insulated and faces due South. So it warms throughout the day during the winter and does heat up the space pretty well. Maybe I should paint it a dark color! Thanks for the idea.

During the Summer the door won't see much sun. My crawl space access is in the garage as well. Perhaps I can open the door and pull cool air out from under the house. There is a double vent (closeable) in the garage wall bricks going outside. So I could open it to allow better air flow. I would only need a super small fan.

Things to play around with in the future.

I live in zone 8a along the east coast. So winters are usually mild except for a month or two early in the year.

Awesome lateral thinking

PostPosted: Dec 6th, '19, 23:21 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Asitis wrote:

Awesome lateral thinking

You know it! It comes in very handy. :)

I was actually giving it some more thought last night... letting my mind wander a little bit.

Another option for cooling during the Summer months it to set my air pump up under the house. Pumping cool air directly into the water will cool the water down much more effectively. Enabling it to hold more oxygen for the fish... and assisting the fish and plants at the same time.

Usually during the Summer in my area the system's water temps will get up to around 80F towards the end of the day (85F during the hottest days) and be around 70F in the morning time with the air stones. That is outside in full sun.

I am betting that in the garage with much more stable temps... the swing will be much less dramatic already. I may give the air pump and fan ideas a try at some point.

I am predicting that the fan will also come in handy for managing humidity... and pulling fresh atmo carbon into the room for the plants. The air quality in my garage is about to go up!

So far I have been monitoring the temps and humidity in the garage closely. Temps outside got down to freezing last night. Temps in the garage were at 57F this morning when I woke up and humidity was 63%.

The temps have been 60F to 61F by the end of the day usually every day. Humidity has been around 63 to 65%. So the cool/dry Winter air has been keeping humidity in the sweet spot pretty much. I may need to vent during the Summer though since warmer air holds more humidity.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that I will be monitoring everything once I get the actual grow lights installed. I put an order in a week ago and it still says "Processing". So I may cancel it and go grab my own somewhere near by. The light system is going to add some heat. However, I will be going LED, so it won't be very much heat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10