All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: Marc's System
PostPosted: Jun 19th, '16, 08:11 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Not sure.
Marc d W wrote:
Asia-Off-Grid wrote:
Marc d W wrote:
fall over switch.

What does a fall over switch do?

Its device that switches from mains power to my backup power in the event that the power goes off. In my case it is 150amp hr AGM 12v battery which runs air and if necessary 12v pumps or if I connect to an inverter my 240v pumps for a time.
I can if I need to run the system off my backup generator.

It has saved my fish many times when the power goes out at night, when you are at work or away. A tank full of trout won't last very long without air.

I see. Us yanks call 'em a transfer switch. I built one that connects a 300 watts inverter, upon mains power fail. I will be using it for my AP system. (At the moment, it powers my internet access and local network.)

Tilapia seem to do okay with low oxygen. (11 of them lived in a bag of filthy water, for more than a four hours ride to my home, and are still doing well a week later.)

I will be running a 200ah AGM (first AGM I will have ever owned for a solar installation), as well as 3 - 100 watts panels to charge it.

Anyway, here is the wiring diagram (compliments of a fellow on an alternative energy forum I am on), relay base, and relay schematic of the one I am using.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '16, 15:03 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: What is human?
Marc d W wrote:
rsevs3 wrote:
Looks like there is enough of us to have a Perth Hills AP club! :lol:

Hi ya Rsevs it great to hear from you again. :wave1:
There are a few of us aquaponicstas in the hills. We are different 'cos like Skeggley we can grow trout for most of the year or in Skeggley's case for the full year :cheers: :notworthy: are you in the northern, middle or southern hills? Im in the southern Perth hills.

I can't believe you have got rid of your system. But on the positive side you ended up in the hills and time to build a great system.

There are a few second hand systems going so that may get you started again.

The system is still sitting at my house, I have been thinking I might be an indian giver ;) It seems like moving it is going to turn into a mission and I am not sure my mate can really be bothered. I only pulled the plug on it a couple of months ago and with the rain I think i could plug it back in and it would like it has been going all along. The few plants left in there are still growing.

I am in the southern hills. The real estate agent assured me that I was buying a property in Mt Richon, not Armadale. Being walking distance to the Narry and the train station though, I'm not so sure.

I find it hard to imagine keeping trout that long, maybe you are on the other side of the hill and it is colder over there... Certainly an exciting prospect to try out. On the flip side though, silvers wont be as prolific. I lost all mine when I moved down, around 30 that were getting close to plate size.

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '16, 18:32 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: I hope so
Hi Ryan, hard to say how long you can keep the trout as Mt Richon may not be much different to the flats eg Gooseberry Hills (On the face of the scarp) is warmer than Bickley (inland) but still cooler than the flats; even so I recon that you could get them to October. I have trout in water of 26 or 27C for a day or so and they are fine as long as it is not up that high for weeks. The advantage of the hills is the cooler nights that gets the water temps down. Troutman "breeds" them tough"
I agree about silvers; they take way too long but silvers and trout are fine. I think I will always have silvers. I am on first name terms with most of them as I have had them so long. And they are great for cleaning up the vegie scraps like lettuce gone to seed and any barassicas.

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '16, 21:12 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
I just caught up with your thread. Great setup, hope your new setup performs as well as the old.

PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '16, 07:46 

Is revs still alive?

Looking good Marc

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '16, 07:49 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: I hope so
Alive and well Charlie. And living with dem dar hill folk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30