All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 20th, '20, 04:40 

Are you human?: yes
Hi all. Actually have just heard of this, and have some interest. As someone who has just started on keto and is trying to get more healthy, the idea of growing both my own plants and my own fish sounds quite good ... especially with the current condition of the world, and future uncertainty of the food supply chain.

I live in Florida in a mobile home, and would be setting up the system inside (at least at first) in an area about 8x10 feet with a west facing window that gets no direct sunlight, but could add some lighting as needed. General interior would range between about 50 degrees to 90 degrees the vast majority of the year, though a heater could be provided for the room for the coldest days. At this point in time, not too much could be done about the hottest days.

Would like to keep things on the simpler side at first, since I would be coming into this completely new, with no experience in any gardening, aquaponics or otherwise. Would like to work with some sort of healthy edible fish (I know tilapia has a reputation of being a rather unhealthy fish, but if you are raising them yourself, and feeding them properly, can they actually be much healthier than the commercially farmed fish?)

Items I would be interested in farming would be tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, cabbage, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries, basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, and garlic. (Not saying I want to grow all of these, especially all at once to begin with, but I'd certainly want to start with a couple or a few of these...and especially tomatoes.)

With the space I have available, temperatures, and interests I've indicated, would I have a good chance of setting up something decent? (Not asking for step-by-step instructions, just trying to find out if it is worth digging in much deeper.)

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 21st, '20, 15:32 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Batchman wrote:
I would be coming into this completely new, with no experience in any gardening, aquaponics or otherwise.

You have a lot of learning to do :lol:
Have a read of this http://ibcofaquaponics.com/ and download the pdf.

PostPosted: May 21st, '20, 23:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: UM..Maybe
A concern in mobile homes is the weight of things sitting in one spot. Dont know what square footage a small AP system you have in mind. You may have to build a bottom frame to spread the weight. A gallon of water weigh 8+ pounds so a 50 gallon fish tank will have 400+- pounds of water sitting in one spot with a small footprint. When adding beds and media, the total weight starts becoming an issue.
If simplicity is important to you I suggest you look into iAVs/sandponics. Once set up the system runs pretty much on autopilot. Self regulating PH, filtration isnt an issue and monitoring for nutrient deficiencies isnt a big necessity. Plus, you can grow root crops. A place to start. .. http://iavs.info/
Where in FL are you?

PostPosted: May 24th, '20, 20:33 

Are you human?: yes
Now I'm slightly depressed. 8-/ I didn't think about the weight, but now that I have, I guess I'm going to have to put off the aquaponics idea until I can utilize the screened in porch, which is currently filled with storage stuff ... so no growing things for a few months to a couple of years.

But any word on if tilapia are more healthy than commercially grown, if you feed them properly?

And believe it or not, I am also in Lakeland.