All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '19, 11:59 

Are you human?: YES
Hi everyone,

Been lurking here on and off for a few years now. What a great community with a wealth of technical and practical knowledge!

My name is Dan and I have been and avid aquarist since I was a child and have at various times maintained over 40 aquariums. I have spawned and raised about 60 fish species, including tropical marine fishes. Also dabbled with small ebb and flow and NFT hydroponic systems.

I think it is time to integrate two of my great interests, fish and plants. I have quite a specific question to ask as well as a couple of more general ones so will head over to the General Discussion board.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '19, 14:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: no
:wave1: Welcome Dan, your knowledge will be greatly recieved around here. Next point of discussion, how to spawn yellowbelly, so i don't have to keep buying them :wink:

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '19, 16:19 

Are you human?: YES
Thanks for the warm welcome Asitis. Unfortunately I have no experience with any native fish besides Rainbowfish . Not one of those pesky migratory spawners are they?

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '19, 18:35 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: no
Through reading I believe they need water temp above 20deg C coinsiding with a simulated flooding, increased water height, flow, nutrient levels etc etc. Commercially breeders inject adults with hormones to initiate spawning, mostly female, but even then they need to be with a consensual/formed partnership. Oddly once they are successful they have very high hatching rates 80-100%, otherwise zero in and unsuccessful mating, typically nothing in between. (Silvers and bass where closer to 30% hatching from memory). So definitely suited to the flood/dry cycle of the murray darling eiver basin.

Either or it would be far easier if rose petals :flower:, chocolates, fine wine :drunken: and softly played Barry Manilow 8) were the prerequisites for copulation. :cheers: :headbang: