All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '13, 15:34 

Are you human?: yes
Thanks, as I said I'm still testing. If the tests are not what I expect I think I will go for pure aquaculture. I know someone in the south of Spain who is doing it for a few years and for now they are making ends meet.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 25th, '13, 19:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: after lots of coffee
Hi Carlos, i'm just starting out here too with a trial system, i'm in La Coruña, Galicia. It would be interesting to get some info on the tilapia available here in Spain, localy i've come up with a big fat Zero, even when i ask in tropical fish shops about Tilapia they normally reply with a "Whats That", Trout are plentyfull in galicia so i might go that way if i can keep the temps of the water down.
Saludos
Derek

My starting system thread http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17476

PostPosted: Jul 27th, '13, 03:20 

Hi Derek, I've passed through that, going to three or four pet shops and only one of them could get me tilapia butticoferi, which doesn't seem to be the most appropiate for our porpouses. I had to buy mine to a guy in Madrid personally (went there from Valencia). I've seen now and then some people selling tilapia in Milanuncios, mostly mossambicus and nile.

I bought six mossambicus in february, 3 males and 3 females, and they havent grown as much as I expected but I think that can be due to their lack of appetite. They obviously eat but I can't see them eating because they are still afraid of me. Their babies instead (yes, as long as you provide a good temp. they have a lot of babies) eat like possesed and they even come to me when I'm around.

If I knew how, I could send you some tilapias but I have no idea of how to do it and the shipping cost. If you find how I will be pleased to do it only for the shipping cost (or you pay it in destiny).

If I can help you in anything else just ask!

Saludos.

PostPosted: Jul 27th, '13, 08:47 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Laowai
Hi Carlos, glad to see more of AP in Europe. Here in China the emphasis on fish is LIVE fish, straight to the consumer ( can see it in supermarkets where only sea fish is frozen/kept chilled. All freshwater fish (which is all farmed locally) are sold live from fishtanks in the shop, or delivered fresh - and alive - from farms every morning.

Wonder if there's any opportunity here to change customers perception of fresh fish - ie still alive when you buy it! and use local freshwater fish rather than exotic newcomers (like tilapia!!). We have a LOT of carp in China!

One day I'll grow up; until then, Party on Dude!!

PostPosted: Jul 29th, '13, 19:31 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: after lots of coffee
Carlos V76 wrote:
Hi Derek, I've passed through that, going to three or four pet shops and only one of them could get me tilapia butticoferi, which doesn't seem to be the most appropiate for our porpouses. I had to buy mine to a guy in Madrid personally (went there from Valencia). I've seen now and then some people selling tilapia in Milanuncios, mostly mossambicus and nile.

I bought six mossambicus in february, 3 males and 3 females, and they havent grown as much as I expected but I think that can be due to their lack of appetite. They obviously eat but I can't see them eating because they are still afraid of me. Their babies instead (yes, as long as you provide a good temp. they have a lot of babies) eat like possesed and they even come to me when I'm around.

If I knew how, I could send you some tilapias but I have no idea of how to do it and the shipping cost. If you find how I will be pleased to do it only for the shipping cost (or you pay it in destiny).

If I can help you in anything else just ask!

Saludos.

Thanks for the offer Carlos, i think at the moment it is too soon as i have only had the system runing a short while and its not cycled yet(using goldfish), I would hate to lose them due to my inexperience. Maybe a bit further down the line and before the colder weather sets in. I'll also need to study the best way to keep the water temps up as its a lot colder here in galicia, maybe too cold in winter.

MRW i think are the best as they regularly ship live shellfish from here all over spain, i used them for my ornamental pheasants and purebred chickens and have never had any problems. I think fish maybe slightly different but obviously the pet shops get theirs delivered by someone, i will investigate, in the meantime maybe someone will let us know the best way to prepare them for transportation.

thanks
Derek

My starting system thread http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17476

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '20, 11:28 

Anyone still around in Spain?

Part of a project setting up a few systems here at the moment. Did a few back in the UK before. Hope everyones good :)!

http://mundoacuaponia.com/

PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '20, 21:33 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
Hi Deepy, I'm from the UK but have been living in Spain for the last few years, in Asturias and Galicia. Never got involved in any real projects though, had an experimental aquarium system and built a pond. Ive been studying a masters in sustainable aquaculture. Me and my girlfriend are moving back to the UK soon though. I'd be keen to get involved in any projects. I'm concerned taht finding work in aquaculture won't be too easy where I'm from in Southeast England.

What kind of projects have you done/are doing now?