All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226
PostPosted: Apr 11th, '20, 22:30 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
LazyK wrote:
We are rural and in the same boat as Rininger85, full freezers and enough food for months. It's a 45 min drive to the closest shops so you learn to keep some stock at home. Dried milk, and an aquaponics garden to supplement, full freezer meals and definitely social distancing space. We can go months without leaving the property Dec-May and it doesn't bother unless we are out of sundowners. Haven't set up a still yet.

Stowing 2L of hummus (houmous) chickpea goodness)) in the deep freezer, and my vacuum sealer didnt do the vacuum thing.

I broke into a cold sweat.

It worked on the second try, but I'm freaking out.

One of the advantages of being a potter is all the ramekins you have lying about the place. Making meals in ramekins, and being able to vac them is pretty convenient. They stack well in the freezer as well. I freeze them overnight open and exposed, and vac them the next morning so you dont need to use the gentle suction option.

Turns out quite a lot can be nuked in a microwave and still be food. Who knew :dontknow:

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '20, 01:04 

It's nice to see IBCs will still be available in the future.

The Orville S02 E07 40:05

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '20, 01:17 

That bunch of reference numbers and letters reminds me of a bible quote, like...

Judges: 19 or something.

My system

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '20, 01:02 

Geek2Nurse wrote:

Sometimes when you are searching for something, your own threads come up in the results.

So I read this post from @Geek2Nurse, and followed the link.

I'm not sure about point 7...

Most creative people are both rebellious and conservative. “It is impossible to be creative without having first internalized an area of culture. So it’s difficult to see how a person can be creative without being both traditional and conservative and at the same time rebellious and iconoclastic.”

The bit about internalizing an area of culture.

That doesn't ring true to me. I dip in and out of different cultures as much as I do hard rubbish dumps on the side of the road.

They who have the most unrelated stuff (internally in their heads, and externally in their sheds) when they die, wins!

eg. My favorite places to be right now would be at an opera, a Die Antword concert, or in a rain forrest, a library, or at a monster truck rally. (I've never seen a monster truck but it looks like the crowd might be fun :) )

The more cultures you experience, the more you see different ways to approach the universe. I read news info from sources that are diametrically opposed to my current political beliefs more than I read those that agree with my current position. How else would I know if I'm wrong? :dontknow:

I hate being wrong, but the last thing I want to do is keep being it, so I have to keep seeking other opinions to check. :)

Not so conservative me thinks. Mostly I think ~there might be a better way to do that~ * even when I look at the sky :)

There isn't tho.

The sky is awesome.

:wave1:

[Edit -

Actually I dont think I'm traditional, rebellious or iconoclastic.

I'm not sure I'm creative either.

Just profoundly querysome.

]

* ~think quotes~

My system

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '20, 01:32 

This years strawberries are pretty good, although I dont have many plants in the system.

Attachment:
20201029 the sky.jpg
20201029 the sky.jpg [ 72.22 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]

Actually, I'm in the process of clearing the food plants from the growbed to grow some ferns and things for next spring. (September where I live)

Attachment:
20201029 clearing the growbed.jpg [315.99 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times

I want some ferns for the back yard because I have an abundance of concrete and grass (mown un-watered weeds) at the moment.

I thought I might make a luggable container garden for the "resting a lot area" in my (sadly) rental house (I say "sadly", because I have to make everything luggable)

My system

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '20, 08:33 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Occasionally
Geek2nurse is awesome, the sky is awesome, everything from the smallest and most fleeting to the awesomest is awesome.....SOMETIMES!

But to be just profoundly querysome as we walk this land in time....that is really something awesome.

Love your strawberry by the way...I killed all mine this year with salt. Bugger!

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '20, 14:29 

Ouch re: strawberries.

I feed most of mine to my snails I keep in the garden.

And millipedes.

Does anyone know of an AP friendly way to kill or repel millipedes?

My system

PostPosted: Oct 31st, '20, 21:49 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya Mr Winkle, I too battle millipedes in my GBs and would also like a remedy. Are they Portuguese black millipedes by any chance?

PostPosted: Oct 31st, '20, 23:30 

skeggley wrote:
Hiya Mr Winkle, I too battle millipedes in my GBs and would also like a remedy. Are they Portuguese black millipedes by any chance?

If they are the introduced variety, then yes.

There is a little ray of hope.

I was at a friends place and noticed her pet (but free) magpie was crapping millipede segments, so at least one thing eats them in Oz.

My system

PostPosted: Nov 1st, '20, 22:48 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
About 20 yrs ago we had plague proportions here, we had a pest control company spray and the next day the 1.5 metre wide concrete path surrounding the house was not even visible beneath their black corpses! Prior to that we had to tape the windows and doors during rainy days, it was terrible. Complained to the council they said ag dept and they said council and we gave up and dumped a couple of pool filter baskets full on the council door one night just to make ourselves feel better. Fortunately it’s never been that bad since and notice millipede shells, if that is the right term, in the redback webs around the house and even the chooks are starting to eat them however they are still everywhere, our cane toad equivalent. Even trying to pick them out of the gbs is difficult as they curl up and disappear into the hydroton abyss.
Apologies for the rant...

PostPosted: Nov 2nd, '20, 07:29 

skeggley wrote:
About 20 yrs ago we had plague proportions here, we had a pest control company spray and the next day the 1.5 metre wide concrete path surrounding the house was not even visible beneath their black corpses! Prior to that we had to tape the windows and doors during rainy days, it was terrible. Complained to the council they said ag dept and they said council and we gave up and dumped a couple of pool filter baskets full on the council door one night just to make ourselves feel better. Fortunately it’s never been that bad since and notice millipede shells, if that is the right term, in the redback webs around the house and even the chooks are starting to eat them however they are still everywhere, our cane toad equivalent. Even trying to pick them out of the gbs is difficult as they curl up and disappear into the hydroton abyss.
Apologies for the rant...

<dundee mode> ^That's not a rant... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7290 , That's a rant</>

:)

My system

PostPosted: Dec 1st, '20, 22:53 

hmmm...

File upload's not working.

Give someone a fish, and feed them for a day.

But give someone an IBC...

Attachment:
The IBC of boating.jpg [100.35 KiB]
Downloaded 45 times

My system

PostPosted: Dec 4th, '20, 10:54 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: On the full moon
I love the IBC boat, is there a manual on that, the IBC of Boating??

I actually have been wanting to build a 50 mm foam kayak that I saw plans for online. (I guess that's a small kayak), I mean a kayak made from 50 mm foam...
I have enough foam left over, just gotta get around to it....

I think IBCs would make a great ultra Tiny Home as well.

Barrel System
IBC System
300 gallon flood and drain system

PostPosted: Dec 4th, '20, 12:48 

No manual that I know of. I was just riffing on the IBC of aquaponics.

There's no rego on that little boat, and I'm guessing it doesn't have any of the requisite safety gear either :)

I wonder if it qualifies as an aquaponics system as soon as you put a fish in it... especially if there is a piece of gravel on the floor :)

It was just something I saw on BookFace

My system

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226