All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226  Next
PostPosted: Dec 27th, '19, 11:39 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: no
Quote:
Nope... Canon PowerShot

Like this beast, just need to find the charger for it! Sweeeeet.

Attachments:
20191227_143539_compress65_resize_44.jpg
20191227_143539_compress65_resize_44.jpg [ 307.85 KiB | Viewed 5164 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '20, 00:51 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Aufin, BullwinkleII, Google Adsense [Bot] and 1 guest

whew... nearly outnumbered by the bots

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '20, 01:06 

Asitis wrote:
Quote:
Nope... Canon PowerShot

Awesome!

That should work.

You'll discover an entire new life for it :)

When you charge it for the first time and it doesn't work, dont think it's dead. there are ways around sleepy batteries!

You will love what it can do!

The freeware universe is a wonderful thing.

Just in case there is anybody out there that doesn't know, the freeware community have made an operating system for you computer that is better than whatever you are using, an office suite of programs that's better than microsoft office, and graphics manipulation software that is almost as good as photoshop (apple is based on the freeware operating system called linux)... and video editing... and music stuff etc etc etc all for free and all made by communities like the good people at BYAP .

Humans, in general, are excellent.

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '20, 01:30 

Asitis wrote:
Quote:
Nope... Canon PowerShot

I didnt know PowerShot came in real camera format.

Mine was only 1.3meg or something which turns out to be not much good for print in a magazine.

I've been through a few and they were always those happy-snap under 3meg kind of devices.

Interestingly they all broke down at around 50,000 shots, which seems like it should be enough, but when you are blogging, you take maybe 50 shots in a session.

The photo I took that won the BYAP photo comp years ago took many more than that to get just right. I needed a fish in the foreground in just the right place, and the auto siphon to be behaving to make sea level at just the right height. I have no idea how many shots I took, but it turns out, it's enough to wear out a few cameras :)

Now I want to see my photo... I cant find it on here...

I'm very proud of it. In fact I got severe sunburn in the act of making it, so I think I should get some kind of award.

Does the Pulitzer cover fish pics taken within a blue barrel system? :)

Attachment:
120 Things in 20 years - Aquaponics - BYAP Photo comp 2010 .jpg
120 Things in 20 years - Aquaponics - BYAP Photo comp 2010 .jpg [ 62.24 KiB | Viewed 5072 times ]

Always striving to relive moments of semi-fame :)

My system

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '20, 01:41 

BullwinkleII wrote:
Asitis wrote:
Quote:
Nope... Canon PowerShot

I didnt know PowerShot came in real camera format.

Mine was only 1.3meg or something which turns out to be not much good for print in a magazine.

I've been through a few and they were always those happy-snap under 3meg kind of devices.

Interestingly they all broke down at around 50,000 shots, which seems like it should be enough, but when you are blogging, you take maybe 50 shots in a session.

The photo I took that won the BYAP photo comp years ago took many more than that to get just right. I needed a fish in the foreground in just the right place, and the auto siphon to be behaving to make sea level at just the right height. I have no idea how many shots I took, but it turns out, it's enough to wear out a few cameras :)

Now I want to see my photo... I cant find it on here...

I'm very proud of it. In fact I got severe sunburn in the act of making it, so I think I should get some kind of award.

Does the Pulitzer cover fish pics taken within a blue barrel system? :)

Attachment:
120 Things in 20 years - Aquaponics - BYAP Photo comp 2010 .jpg

Always striving to relive moments of semi-fame :)

oh.. my point was that was taken with a powershot camera :)

My system

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '20, 07:24 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Thanks, still looking for the bloody charger... argh

PostPosted: Jan 3rd, '20, 22:16 

I found another dead goldfish in my sump today. I moved a few from the IBS[C] when I had the pump failure (ie a hose fell off) so it might be one of those.

The IBS is disconnected, and I'm filling it with tap water, then watering the garden with it to get rid of all the extra nutrient.

So basically I farm mosquitoes now.

I need to add mosquito farmer to the "member skills" thread.

On the upside, I ate what I think might be the best strawberry I've ever had in my life the other day. I found it when walking past the grow bed, just lurking there in it's perfection.

My system

Last edited by BullwinkleII on Jan 25th, '20, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Whats an IBS?

PostPosted: Jan 9th, '20, 23:30 

chillidude wrote:
I'll second BT's thoughts Bullwinkle - I read about your haloumi and was inspired so have ordered a cheese making kit that Mrs Chilli can give me for Chrissy :cheers:

Now I gotta find a temp controller I can fit to a fridge so I've got somewhere I can age the cheese (and properly lager some of my homebrew).

I just used some simple electronics to turn a 12v car fridge into something I can set to an actual temperature rather than just running to 20C below or above ambient. It was pretty easy to set up given everything I knew about electronics had fallen out of me head, and JarCar sold me the wrong components. (To grow koji viewtopic.php?f=53&t=30856&hilit=koji)

But, when I was making beer, I put the mash into a fridge with a $20 aquarium heater into a 2L bottle of water, and set the temp to 25C. Fridges are so well insulated it almost never had to run. You could probably get away without any temperature control, because the fridge will pretty much keep to the average temperature for the day/week.

Once bottled (I Used 2L cola bottles) I'd stack it the freezer section to larger it for a few weeks.

Recently I grew koji in my oven over those Adelaide days where we had 44C one day, and 24 or something the next.

I grew it under wet towels in the oven using the oven light if I need heat, and a single 1.25L bottle of ice water when I needed to cool it.

It was very easy to regulate the temperature over two weeks of crazy fluctuations in daily, and night time temperatures.

We bought "Contrabando" (I think it was raw milk) cheese from an elderly italian woman who Mrs Bullwinkle adopted many years back, and we would just leave it on the kitchen table in winter, and in the (4C fridge in summer. I'm guessing like most things, the aging process just really slows if you wack it into a normal kitchen fridge, but it did seem to continue to age. (this was a parmesan-like eating cheese).

My own matured cheese attempt failed completely due to not brining it.

Basically it got all psychedelic colourful and went into the bin after a few months.

If I made cheese again tomorrow, I'd use my new car fridge thing I made, or my sous vide device to maintain temperatures.

Ohhh.... car fridge thing would make good yogurt.

My system

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '20, 21:45 

Koji farm is now working and has been for 3 days.

Learning some simple electronics stuff makes you feel like the universe is doing your bidding.

I know that sounds like a plug for the electronics section of BYAP, but electronics is mad Fu!

Get into it.

Koji!

The device is also now a yogurt maker.

Koji!

Bam!

My system

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '20, 22:27 

So... It turns out some of my fish deaths have been as a result of the enormous gap between the house, and the concrete slab the grow bed is on. There is now a 3cm gap that wasn't there a few years ago acording to my normal rental pics I take when I move into a house. (Of course I take 200 photos of everything) The grow bed is not draining water from the IBC,its actually putting water back into it.

The result is that after my fish deaths, I isolated the IBC because it was full of dead fish, and went to Port Elliot for a few days. When I got back, the IBC was full again (Due to the auto top up water system) and it was now dumping stinky dead fish and slime water back into my sump, where the breeder fish live.

Basically, the world has obviously tilted on its axis as per the predictions of all cults, and we are all doomed. But in the meantime, I think i might be about to sell my IBC.

Food grade. ex-honey filled. Proven - awesome.

Just dont let it run dry on a 46c day and you'll be fine.

Modbury 5092

Price depends on how much work you want to do/your own worthiness.

pension/health care card discount applies.

I bought it for ... like ... a hundred bucks or something.... negotiable... still in perfect condition. Seems to be UV impregnable.

Happy to chuck in some goldfish, and some media that's already bio stoked.

I would prefer to sell it to someone that actually needs it rather than someone who already has 200 or the things or something, so if you know someone who is just getting started, point them at me.

I'll give it for free to a school or similar, but if i do that, expect me to bang on endlessly about whatever case it is like I do on facebook regarding the Fred Hollows foundation that can CURE BLINDNESS FOR ONLY $25.

It's probably not appropriate for me to drop this link, but the Fred Hollows foundation offers more bang for your donated buck than anything on the planet.

People who are not blind can do aquaponics (on topic BAM!)

Blind + $25 = not blind.

Sorry, but I'm a little obsessed with this cause even though I've never even met a blind person once in my life.

My mum got a new knee 20 years ago or so, and I remember I thought at the time that it was amazing value for money. AU$8,000 to go from being ready to give up on life to being able to outpace me at the supermarket, but now I find myself thinking, $8000 / $25 = a pretty good outcome given that most of the recipients need their sight to make a living and feed their kids. Sorry mum (mom), but I think if I ran the world, I'd give those people their sight. (But I'd donate a knee to you in a flash.... if you'd give me a kidney (Actually my mum offered me a kidney with no knee quid pro quo. How cool is that? Salute Mumma Bullwinkle!))

https://www.hollows.org/au/donate?utm_s ... lsrc=aw.ds

Anyway...

Just give all your stuff to people who need it... bushfire cash, kidneys, blood, stem cells, bone marrow (ouchies), love, and time. (and to keep it on topic... fish tanks)

Whatever you can, whenever you can, forever.

Please.

My system

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '20, 22:34 

I have this growth on the back of my hand that I've had for 2 years and 2 months that is probably another skin cancer, but until my doctor actually cuts it out next month, I've decided it's a stigmata.

So I've got that going for me now.

Which is nice.

I guess.

Anyone want to form a cult that you only have to commit to for 17 days until my stigmata is removed?

[EDIT - Oh... I forgot the actual message.... PUT SUNSCREEN ON YOUR KIDS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!]

#fish #ontopic #aquaponics #koji

My system

Last edited by BullwinkleII on Jan 25th, '20, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
PUT SUNSCREEN ON YOUR KIDS PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '20, 22:42 

Asitis wrote:
Quote:
Nope... Canon PowerShot

I have a camera from that era that is destined for landfill. Post a pic of the battery and I might be able to send you a free charger.

Often the batteries are the same.

My system

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '20, 22:45 

BullwinkleII wrote:
Asitis wrote:
Quote:
Nope... Canon PowerShot

I have a camera from that era that is destined for landfill. Post a pic of the battery and I might be able to send you a free charger.

Often the batteries are the same.

Also some of those cameras have a USB charging option, so you might be able to just plug it in with some other devices' plug you already own.

My system

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '20, 23:14 

Asitis wrote:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Plan to flog the footspa in the new year and donate. Speaking of sight, the other day observing the pond, and a 'fish' like insect swam to the surface (thought it was a dragon fly nymph). Once it hit the o2 it shead in an instance and emerged and flew off. Never have i seen this and would love to know from ap land what this might be? I am used to nymphs climbing up and then changing, but not instantly!

So yeah good idea to donate.

Do you know that if you call your local museum and tell them that story, they will put you in touch with people who are totally obsessed with telling you about what it is you saw.

Intensely enthusiastic people who are going to make you understand everything ever no matter how stupid I seem :)

Do it.

My friend who is (Obviously) the second smartest person I know after me ( :) ), had a teacher that would send students to the reception area on a mission to call a university, or a museum, and find some stuff out. It's amazing what they are willing to do for enthusiastic minds. Sadly I didnt get that, but my friend taught me that when I was around 22 years old or so when they were in Uni, and it's stuck.

If you think about how many people on this forum want to share the knowledge, it's not really that big of a surprise.

All you need is someone like Earthbound to set the conditions for a free and open community, and it takes care of itself. (and a shipload of input from the moderators of course - All hail moderators for being excellent)

Anyway...

Ring your local museum, and they will put you in touch with someone obsessed with anything you can think of.

Either in the building, of they will set you up with a PHD student that will be even more obsessed.

You might even have something to offer in return.

A student in the UK studying wasps found (I'm making this number up) something like 8 new species in her back yard as a result of just having a bit of a look for a few years.

I've rung many, many, many times and have actually contributed twice.

You never know... What you saw might be something unrecorded.

If so... I suggest you name it "Putat Nymphae".

Or "Bullwinkle".

Either is good :)

My system

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '20, 08:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I will do re: museum!!! Man i love your posts, you are bloody funny, as well as wise and informative. Will definately add your name to the latin.

Hijacking commence :oops: : since my first observation which was by coincidence very close (he/she almost flew into my eye ball), I have observed maybe 40 from a distance emerging, at sunset with no wind is the only time I can see them. One hit the water after emerging, so I waded out (thinking it might have a deformed wing ir something)((yes my family think i am nuts also :geek:)), but it managed to fly before i could see it. So i am still on the case. I have also found my charger for the camera. I think i should start a thread on such...

Thanks again mate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226  Next