All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '20, 11:45 

Are you human?: yes
Hello all!

I am a long time commercial grower / cannabis breeder and am setting up a new greenhouse seed production facility that we are going to be setting up an aquaponics. I have long been focused on sustainability, organic production, and pushing the envelope to not be relying on bottles or chemicals. I have never doing aquaponics, but have been doing a ton of research on it.

General plan -

We are thinking a 8500 - 10000 gallon pool, which will house the fish. We are kind torn between trying catfish or tilapia. Tilapia seem easier to find, but I prefer eating catfish.

We are in hawaii at 700 foot elevation - so we are year round in a warm, humid environment.

We are thinking of using both the greenhouse roof, and we have a barn on the property to setup catchment to use to keep the water supply up, and keep the pond filled.

We have currently a 12x30 greenhouse, but are planning on adding a second 20x60 next to it. I am thinking its prob better to start with one greenhouse, see what we like and dont like, and figure it out before going full hog with both greenhouses

Im kinda thinking 2 long beds, 3'x18' each, with 2 foot gaps between side walls and between them. I am kinda leaning on doing a pond liner, with a deep lava rock layer, then some finer pea gravel on top. From what I understand, doing the thick gravel makes for a bigger buffer in case things go hot nute wize.

Im not sure yet exactly how to make the slope needed to get the proper run off, and how thats all gonna work, but the basic idea being that each bed has a pump to flood, then put the water back into the pool after.

Our biggest thing is we want to make sure we design with redundancy, so we dont lose a crop, which would be a high value lose, and we want to design in a way thats its a pretty permeant, and will hold up for more then a season or two if possible. the hawaii sun is no joke, so i know that may be asking a lot.

Feel free to suggest pointers, or whatnot!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 24th, '20, 05:27 

Are you human?: YES
Bump

PostPosted: Sep 24th, '20, 10:34 

since everyone needs pics...

heres a pic of our greenhouse spot.

I will refrain from any actual cannabis pictures, as Im not sure how that will be received, but we basically fill the greenhouse up pretty full.

Attachment:
bh-2.jpg
bh-2.jpg [ 156.85 KiB | Viewed 2407 times ]

PostPosted: Sep 24th, '20, 22:10 

dragonsflamegenetics wrote:
Im not sure yet exactly how to make the slope needed to get the proper run off

I'm not sure what you're thinking about when you talk about the slope. You don't really want a slope in the grow bed and all the water doesn't need to drain back to the pond when you are running a timed or siphon version flood and drain setup. With flood and drain most people will get the majority of the water to drain by using a weep hole near the bottom of the stand pipe. The pump brings the water in faster than the weep hole drains the bed so the bed fills up and after the pump turns off the weep hole allows the bed to drain. The important part for the plants is that the water stays aerated no matter what method you use.

It sounds like your pond will be large enough that you probably won't have to worry about the water level fluctuations stressing the fish. If this does become an issue you can switch to Constant Flood provided you don't make the weep hole permanent. Most people use a removable standpipe for this that just presses into the fitting that goes through the grow bed wall. That leaves about an inch or two of water in the bed even when drained. You may want to look at the BYAP Trials thread for a comparison of three growing methods in AP.

Nice photo, looks like you may have to knock down a palm tree or two to fit the other greenhouse.

PostPosted: Sep 25th, '20, 10:37 

scotty435 wrote:
dragonsflamegenetics wrote:
Im not sure yet exactly how to make the slope needed to get the proper run off

I'm not sure what you're thinking about when you talk about the slope. You don't really want a slope in the grow bed and all the water doesn't need to drain back to the pond when you are running a timed or siphon version flood and drain setup. With flood and drain most people will get the majority of the water to drain by using a weep hole near the bottom of the stand pipe. The pump brings the water in faster than the weep hole drains the bed so the bed fills up and after the pump turns off the weep hole allows the bed to drain. The important part for the plants is that the water stays aerated no matter what method you use.

It sounds like your pond will be large enough that you probably won't have to worry about the water level fluctuations stressing the fish. If this does become an issue you can switch to Constant Flood provided you don't make the weep hole permanent. Most people use a removable standpipe for this that just presses into the fitting that goes through the grow bed wall. That leaves about an inch or two of water in the bed even when drained. You may want to look at the BYAP Trials thread for a comparison of three growing methods in AP.

Nice photo, looks like you may have to knock down a palm tree or two to fit the other greenhouse.

oh ok for some reason i was thinking you had to have a sight slope to drain the water, didnt realize you want to have some staying in, guess I have more to learn then I realized!

Its deceptive in the pics as our property is in 3 large terraces. I shot that picture from the lower terrace looking up at the palm circle which is on the middle terrace. Theres definitely some jungle here that needs to be removed behind the palms but its got about 40 feet extra width, so we should have space to do the side by side 12x30 and 20x60 with a good tractor width between them all.

PostPosted: Sep 26th, '20, 06:03 

I don't know what the existing greenhouse is built from but lots of professional greenhouses go the route of gutter connecting the greenhouses side by side because then they save the cost of the cladding on the outer wall (they move it from the initial greenhouse to the wall of the new greenhouse). Normally they are adding a greenhouse of like size and want to save on heating as well as building costs. I don't know if this would be helpful and a good idea for your situation. FYI - There are aluminum extrusions for doing this - they aren't cheap but might be worth it depending on the situation (https://www.cropking.com/catalog/gutter-connect). Seems like with your climate you barely need a greenhouse.