All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '22, 12:00 

Are you human?: yes
I currently have a few aquaponics setups. One is outdoors and has 600 gallon FT with a few 4x16 grow beds (media bed) and a couple indoor systems primarily for LED light testing and tilapia breeding.

One problem I have encountered on the outdoor system is the heat here in Florida, and I would like to grow consistent crops all year long. There is plenty of information out there about greenhouses and keeping heat in for the cooler months. What is the best way in the Florida heat to grow lets say lettuce year round?

If the water temperature is kept cool, will the plant thrive? Or does the ambient air have to be kept cool as well? I could envision using some geothermal tubes to keep the water temperatures down, but at a loss of an economical way to keep the ambient air temperatures down. Obviously shade cloth will help, but is cooler water and shade cloth enough to make it through the summer heat? (I will be testing a few ideas this summer and looking for more ideas)

Another option is that I have access to about 2500-5000 sq ft of warehouse/shop space with 16ft ceilings that I have thought about turning into a vertical indoor aquaponics system. I will be giving up the free lighting provided by the sun, but would be able to maintain consistent temperatures and artificial lighting to yield a very consistent harvest. Obviously the electric bill will be quite high but the tradeoff of consistency is what I'm looking at.

I may have an opportunity to buy several acres of land, but need to use aquaponics to justify the expense and I need to have a plan on how to deal with the summer heat before I can proceed.
Right now the aquaponics will be used to provide fish and veggies to my family and some close friends with the goal being consistency in production.

Thanks!

Advertisement