All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Oct 25th, '20, 08:36 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: On the full moon
Just curious.

I'm draining a small above ground pool today, that was running as a salt pool, with a calcium hypochlorite shock used, and chlorine tablets used in the last few weeks since the salt chlorine generator kicked the bucket. I only used a little copper algae liquid in it once about two months ago, it was maybe 2-3 tbsp. And I used a chlorine stabilizer at start of the season. If I let this age, would it be suitable for AP? The salt concentration is at 3.5-4 ppt.

It's too salty to use on the ground. But, it would be nice to not have to dump it all.

Barrel System
IBC System
300 gallon flood and drain system

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 25th, '20, 08:38 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I think the volume is between 1300- 1500 gallons. Just throwing that in in relation to the copper addition.

Barrel System
IBC System

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '20, 00:31 

Are you human?: YES
The salt levels while not that high are high enough to slow up plant growth based on times I've salted my system for diseases up to about 6 ppt (so a bit higher than your pool water). Provided you age the water or use small volumes you could dilute the water first and probably be OK but I wouldn't use it straight from the pool without dilution and it shouldn't wind up constituting the majority of your system water because of the high salt levels.

You could also use the water to setup a quarantine system for pre-treating fish before they go into your main system.

While I doubt the chlorine or stabilizer would be an issue at this point and especially not after aging, I can't say for certain. Usually with all the organic matter in grow beds the chlorine in tap water gets used up pretty quick so small volumes relative to the total system volume (say 10 to 20 percent) won't be an issue. Pool water probably gets more chlorine so depending on how much if any is left you should be cautious of large additions.

PostPosted: Nov 4th, '20, 08:53 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I was thinking that some of the chemicals might not be an issue since they were added early on, like you mentioned Scotty.
But, I decided to let it go to the sewer this time around. Maybe next year I'll pump it to a tank and let it age a while before diluting it with tap or rain water.

Thanks for the suggestions.

A quarantine system is a good idea.
I had hoped to use my chopped barrel as a quarantine, but I ended up putting a few sunfish in it a while back, and they haven't moved anywhere else...

I think it would probably be ok, but I wasn't ready to try it out just yet. Not worth the risk.

Barrel System
IBC System